Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Food for thought.


It is such a long time since I have blogged, BUT I'm sure nobody at all noticed (seeming as though I'm probably the only one that reads my blog). I will commence my second attempt at being a blogger, and vow to write AT LEAST one blog every fortnight.

Today, I would like to showcase four of my favorite places to eat in Penrith, they might not be Michelin star worthy, but they are places that I absolutely adore, each for a different and unique reason.

If you want to dine out Penrith, maybe try one of these before heading to a mediocre steakhouse or KFC.

-Claire



Mamre Homestead Tea Rooms
Lot 1 Mamre Road, St Marys 2760

Mamre Homestead, built in the 1820's on land owned by Rev. Samuel Marsden, is now known for its beautiful rose gardens, historic setting, spiritual feel and home style restaurant.

Sister Mary-Louise Petro who works at Mamre Homestead, taught my Mum in 1979. She is also the founder of The Mamre Project, a Sudanese refugee program which includes teaching English literacy, vocational training, driver safety and helping Sudanese families with the difficult task of adapting to life in Australia. There is a large number of Sudanese refugees currently residing in St Marys, so it is extremely comforting to know that such a wonderful program in place.

As well as the fantastic work that these wonderful people do for the community, it is by far my favorite place to chill out when I need some quiet time. There is nothing better than having somewhere to have a cup of devonshire tea and scones with jam and cream as good as my Nanny makes them. In the winter you can sit by a log fire and read a book, and in summer sit on the balcony which overlooks the stunning gardens and watch horses gallop past.

This place has delicious food, amazing tea and coffee, friendly staff, beautiful landscape and most importantly, it has a lot of soul. Best of all, this little treasure is only a 5 minute drive away.


Taj of the Valley
419 High Street, Penrith 2750

Taj of the Valley is one of many Indian restaurants located on the main street in Penrith. What sets them apart? As soon as you step foot in the beautifully decorated, deliciously aromatic doors of Taj of the Valley, you are greeted by some of the most well mannered waitresses I have ever had the pleasure of being served by. This family run restaurant has a modern authentic feel which forces me to dine in, instead of taking away and saving 20%.

The sad thing is that this little gem is virtually deserted, even on a Saturday night, I have rarely seen more than 3 tables of 4 sat at a time. Regardless of their lack of business, their ingredients are always fresh and of good quality, and their vindaloo is as spicy as hell – just the way I like it.


Bai Bua
20 Woodriff Street, Penrith 2750

I am a frequent diner of Bai Bua, and have never had bad service or a below par meal. Physically, it has everything that you could possibly want from a fantastic Thai restaurant, tacky over the top décor including strings of coloured lights framing the windows, and an over sized Buddha sitting in the middle of a fountain surrounded by plastic palm leaves. I'm not going to even bother trying to name my favorite dish, everything I have eaten, from curry's to stir fry's, soups to deserts, I have fallen head over heals in love with.


Luciano's Italian Restaurant
3 Tindale Street, Penrith 2750

I often get HUGE boscaiola cravings, and it was this that drove me to Penrith on a public holiday, in the pouring rain, in search of some good pasta. That is how I stumbled off a street in Penrith, and walked right into a quaint and rustic restaurant in Italy. So, I have never been to Italy, but when I was greeted by the owners huge grin and an enthusiastic “salve” (which I could only assume meant hello) I felt a million miles away from Penrith. Maybe I got just a little bit too excited about this place, but everything about it plastered a huge smile on my face.
Then, I sat down and savored every last bite of my fettuccine boscaiola as the rain poured outside. It was absolutely delicious. Bellissimo!

3 comments:

  1. I actually traversed your blog just recently looking for new content...so YES, I DID notice your absence. I want to go to Mamre Homestead Tea Rooms...Please take me...I feel like turning it up a notch...can I savour my scones and tea whilst riding on horseback? You can watch from the balcony and throw roses as I hurtle past...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're taking me to taj of the valley. and if you do i might pay :P

    and you're not the only one that reads this thing. i know exactly what you mean though im stuck in blogger apathy at the moment. its funny that having study to do seems to provoke the writer in me who normally cbf'd.

    but i will read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. dinner date next week lovely? or sunday at mamre. i really can't decide now x

    ReplyDelete