Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lessons Learnt Pre Departure

There are a few things I have learnt in the past few weeks leading up to going away.
1 – Organise any live vaccinations earlier than 10 days prior to departure, just in case your eyes strangely swell up.
2 – Make sure you take a few days off work to give you time to do the necessary things for your trip, the things I will now have to frantically squeeze in the day before I fly out.
3 – There are going to be some people that either won't support what you are doing, don't understand what you are doing or just don't believe in you. If these people are your friends – try to ignore them.
4 – I have learnt just how many people think I am a weak, young, naïve blonde girl that won't be able to 'handle' the things I will be doing – Give me some credit, because I assure you, I can deal with a lot more than you think I can.
5 – Making friends with some of the people I will be going away with is the best decision I have made. Thank god for social networking and its ability to ease pre-departure nerves.
6 – You can do anything you put your mind to. Even if it means working 2 jobs, whilst paying rent and studying full time, just to go out and do something you are truly passionate about.
7 - I'm going to miss my puppy, so much.

Most of all, I have realised how many amazing people I have in my life who have fully supported my decisions and have gone above and beyond to help me prepare.
My dear friends who have:
Lent me money for vaccinations, bought me a backpack, put up with my confused unorganised shopping trips, helped me sell chocolates and given me endless amounts of advise and encouragement. Thank you UWS for kindly sponsoring me with $500 towards my trip, and thank you Mum for not freaking out too much.

While I am in Ecuador I will try to blog at least once a week on what I am up to. Thanks for the UWS media crew for getting a write up about my trip in the local (yes, I looked like a complete nerd.) But they have said they will help spread my blog around while I am away, so thank you!

These are just a couple of things planned after what is bound to be a tiring 30+ hour transit to Quito.
First night/day spent at an amazing hostel called The Secret Garden, that grows all of the herbs and vegetables that go into their meals. They have a roaring fire and musical performances every night out on the terrace balcony that overlooks the historic part of Quito. Not bad for about $8 a night!
Living amongst the monkeys in Misahualli for around 6 days, brushing up on Spanish and learning how to Salsa Dance.
Staying nearby a small indigenous village deep in the Amazon, where we will be working daily on several different projects and surely making life-long friends.
Doing some exciting things in the rainforest like white water rafting and being shown just a portion of the thousands of species of flora and fauna by a local guide and biologist.
Celebrating the birthday of a new found friend from Manchester by exploring the Ecuadorian night life, and sampling some of the national foods like Cuy (guinea pig) and Bulls penis soup.
Hiking the Andes Mountains where we will bungee jump, go horse riding, shop in the local markets and soak in the volcanic hot springs of Banos. As I said... only a couple of many things.

Again, thank you so much to my friends. You have kept me sane through all of my budgeting, fears, freakouts and are the reason I am now all set to fly out on Sunday (well, kind of all set)

I can't wait to share some of the unique stories and brilliant photos that will come from this amazing part of the world with all of you.

Claire xox

4 comments:

  1. Have fun Claire! You're an amazing person, and I'm lucky to count you as a friend. I was so inspired by your dedication to this trip, and the causes you're supporting, that I finally got around to working towards my dream. I can't wait till you're back, so you can spend a weekend on the Gold Coast, drinking wine and sharing stories with me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess, you are beyond amazing! Thank you for your support it has definitely not gone unnoticed. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have an awesome time Claire, we'll surely catch up once your back. i will severely miss your crude humor ):
    I'm a little jealous of your itinerary i will say :)
    Good luck and take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babes - you are an incredible young woman (I feel like an old fart using that phrase!!). You are going to do amazing things on this trip and into the future. Forget those who do not believe in you... the most important thing is believing in yourself. I have met so many people here who are shocked when I tell them where I have been and that I am by myself - it just makes me laugh! Have a wonderful time - soak up every experience (good and bad) and let those experiences shape the person you are to become. All my love and faith and belief and luck to you. Love love love across the Kalahari. Siobhany xox

    ReplyDelete